Saturday, January 14, 2012

A Fast, Light Pulling Boat Part One: Under construction

I have been pretty happy with my little dinghy. It is easy to transport, quite seaworthy, and easier to row than the larger city issue fiberglass boats. But the dinghy has it's short comings. I've always wanted a fast, light pulling boat, something that can move through the water more easily.

So when I saw an ad for an Annapolis Wherry kit on Craigslist I jumped at the opportunity. It has flawlessly good lines, is quite sea worthy, and, even though it's almost eighteen feet long, it weighs only 65 lbs- the same as the eight foot dinghy!

As it turned out the kit was badly damaged. The owner had copied the shapes parts on to mahogany then proceeded to ruin those pieces as she cut them out. But, in spite of all those problems, the price was right! So, I bought it and put it into storage waiting for winter to come. I began by sorting the pieces and deciding how to salvage the project. To make a long story short, I've pretty much succeeded and made some changes to the original design.

The Wherry under construction: There will be no fixed seats
You may have read the previous blog about building a rowing unit. The plan is to install it in the wherry. The original plans called for fixed seats with a rowing unit mounted over the top of them. It struck me as a little strange so this new boat will not have fixed seats, just a rowing unit with two seats fastened to the  monorail. I should save a couple of pounds along the way.

putting a coat of epoxy on the outside


The entire boat is finished with epoxy from Polygem. The product is safer and greener than the other stuff.  I think it took about a gallon and a half. The hull gets its strength from the filets which join each strake to the next. The filets are actually stronger than the wood surrounding them. Epoxy and lapstrake construction seem to have been made for one another.

A layer of fiberglass is also epoxied on the bottom strakes both inside and out. This adds still more strength and protects the woodwork from scuffs and scrapes. Everything sets up perfectly clear and you can't see the glass cloth. No one uses polyester resin anymore. I should be able to finish some time soon. Call it "part two." I'll post more photos then.









No comments:

Post a Comment