Monday, August 22, 2011

Lake Harriet

A tree lined shore and a spectacular band shell makes this one of the prettiest lakes in the cities. And Harriet is popular too. There's a good number of sailboats moored on the west side. There's racks for canoes, beaches, and a fishing pier. Most importantly, there's a jogging path which seems to be busy at all hours. There's a boat launch on the north side, too. 
 a spectacular band shell on the north side, just west of the boat launch area.

There is just one problem. It's difficult to park, especially if you are launching a boat and don't want to leave it unattended while you search for a spot. Granted, there's a pay parking lot nearby, but it'[s often full. My advice is to put in when things are quiet. I chose 7:30 on a Sunday morning. Oddly enough, there were several fishermen and any number of joggers out there already.
A seagull perched on top of a distant mast: no wind!
Beyond a doubt, this was one of the most peaceful and pleasant rows I had this summer. For some strange reason, I have almost always had to deal with  stiff winds, choppy water, and soaring temperatures. Not so this time! It was 72 degrees and the water was as smooth as glass. Much to my surprise, I found that my little boat rows really easy when it's not fighting the elements.
The Prodigal rows easy in calm water
You can't see them, but Harriet is actually surrounded by homes. Just a little bit of park land buffers them from the lake. Oddly, there was a distinct smell of breakfasts cooking in all that calm air. It made me hungry!
A beach on the north side: A distinct smell of breakfast cooking!
It took me about an hour to row the lake. I wasn't difficult. I stopped often just to relax and take in the view. There was a swimmer doing exactly the same thing.
The launch ramp. Note the little yellow bird
Sadly, summer is rapidly coming to a close. School starts in a couple of days and my time on the water is sure to be limited. This little journey completes all of the major lakes in the cities.

The launch for Lake Harriet is in the park on the north side

By the way, thanks for reading this blog! It's been a real pleasure putting it together. For sure, I will be making more entrees: other smaller lakes in the cities, lakes in the suburbs, and the Mississippi. Stay tuned!
  













No comments:

Post a Comment