Saturday, August 6, 2011

Oops!

Today I went rowing with "Mississippi Bob" Brown. Of late I've been working on yet another boat. Bob was kind enough to show me a similar craft and we had a good time swapping stories and talking about boat design as we rowed Lake Nokomis. Bob has built over seventy boats in his career and he really knows his craft.

And then, just as we pulled up on shore, two young men in a catamaran capsized a few hundred yards away. It got stuck pretty bad. The mast had buried itself in the mud and the wind pushed it in even deeper. Bob rowed out to help just as the mast worked itself free. The men were just fine and they let the wind push them back to the safety of a sandy beach.

The Capsized Cat
I've seen similar scenes play out before. Just last week I took my friend Rachel out for a row. A fairly big sailor passed us a speed and then, as it tacked off in another direction, it nearly capsized very close to our little row boat.


Rowing with Rachel










I can understand why. People wait all week to get out on the water. Getting underway and catching the wind is very euphoric. The trouble is that sailing takes a little getting used to. It's difficult to get right under a full wind, especially if you just borrowed the boat from a friend. Better to take it easy. Keep your wits about you. Slow and steady wins the race!

"Mississippi Bob" Takes Rachel for a spin in his gaff rigged Sailor



I've got my hands full with building that next rowboat right now, but I am thinking sailing too. Can't have enough fun on the water!









No comments:

Post a Comment